Click on image to enlarge. Double-click to shrink.
LITTER PREVENTION TIPS
KEEP COVINGTON BEAUTIFUL
- Place an adequate number of trash containers and cigarette ash receptacles in parking lots as well as inside and outside of all building entrances.
- Establish a regular schedule for emptying trash containers and ash receptacles. Avoid having trash emptied on an “as needed” basis to prevent overflows.
- Replace broken, dirty or damaged containers and receptacles.
- Use only covered trash containers to eliminate trash spilling or blowing out.
- Establish the expectation that employees will pick up trash anywhere in or around your place of business. Let them know that it is not acceptable to walk past litter.
- Remove trapped litter from landscaping, drains, gutters and fences on a regular basis.
- Establish smoking areas with appropriate ash receptacles for employees and customers.
- Place only tied bags of trash in outdoor dumpsters. This greatly decreases loose trash from blowing out of the dumpster during collection.
- Enclose dumpsters as required to minimize the amount of trash that will blow to other areas of your business or onto city streets or into drainage ways.
- Remove trash from the enclosure area regularly.
Commit to reducing loose trash from company vehicles by:
- Requiring tarps on any vehicle transporting materials
- Requiring tightly sealed containers to transport materials that are not covered by tarps
- Instructing drivers to pick up any materials that have fallen off of their load
- Instructing drivers to discard cigarette butts in vehicle ashtrays
- Adding trash bags to company vehicles.
Become familiar with Covington’s Anti-Litter Ordinance, Chapter 42, Article III,
Sections 61 through 71
Curbside Recycling List
Litter Enforcement Contact List